Refugee Reintegration update
18 August 2008
For the last 2 months volunteers have been working tirelessly to assist displaced refugees obtain legal permits to live and work in South Africa, secure employment and rent accommodation in communities less prone to xenophobic activity.
To date we are pleased to report the following:
• Over 100 people were assisted to obtain the vital asylum seekers permit from Home Affairs
• Over 250 CV's have been sent out for job application or employment agencies
• 63 job interviews have been attended
• 31 jobs have been secured
• We have successfully moved 33 people out of Chrysalis into rented accommodation
Andre along with a team of volunteers have spent hours driving people to interviews, typing up CVs, researching for job and accommodation leads, making follow up phone calls, negotiating with landlords, communicating and encouraging refugees and preparing refugees for interviews.
Bright, a young Zimbabwean is one refugee who has benefited from our support being transformed in the process from a disillusioned foreigner to an enthusiastic artist. Click here to read his story.
At the end of August our work at Chrysalis will end, as we begin to envision and plan a longer term intervention addressing unemployment of both refugees and South Africans.